top of page
Better Vegan Grain-Free Gluten-Free Bread
Source: Better Vegan Category: Vegan Baked Goods
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 70-80 min Total Time: 85-95 min Makes 1 loaf
About this recipe
It is always nice to have a good slice of fresh heavy bread, but finding one that is gluten-free and contain no eggs, sugar or grains can be a real challenge. This bread is not going to taste like wheat or rye, but it is delicious in its own way. It is heavy, nutty and crumby, and it works great for toasts with any topping or as a complement to a soup or stew. All our tasters loved it.
The original recipe used pumpkin seeds and chickpea flour, which produced a somewhat weird flavor when baked, so I substituted those with hemp seeds and almond flour. This definitely improved the taste and got rid of the bean flavor. I also used zucchini puree instead of the original spaghetti squash puree, which is much faster to prepare and works just as well.
2/3 cup zucchini puree (see note)
1 1/2 Tbs raw apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg USDA Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar)
3/4 cup vegetable broth or stock
1/2 cup smooth natural almond butter (see note)
5 drops plain pure liquid stevia (optional) (I use NOW Foods BetterStevia Liquid)
3 Tbs finely ground flaxseeds (I use Bob's Red Mill Whole Flaxseed)
3 Tbs whole psyllium husks (not powder) (Try Psyllium Husk Whole )
1 cup plus 1 Tbs raw hemp seeds (I use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt (I use Sherpa Pink Gourmet Himalayan Salt, 5 lbs Fine Grain)
2/3 cup almond flour (I use Kirkland Signature Almond Flour Blanched California Superfine)
1. Prepare the ingredients.
2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
3. In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the zucchini, vinegar, broth, almond butter, and stevia. Set aside.
4. In the bowl of a food processor, blend the flax, psyllium, hemp seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and almond flour until the mixture resembles a powder. There should be no pieces larger than a bread crumb.
5. Combine the liquid ingredients with the dry ones and mix thoroughly to combine, but do not overmix. The mixture may begin to fizz and expand a bit.
6. Immediately transfer to the prepared loaf pan and very gently smooth the top. Allow to sit undisturbed for 5 minutes.
7. After 5 minutes, bake the loaf for 70 to 80 minutes, rotating the pan about halfway through, until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean and the top is very well browned. Let cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing. May be frozen.
To make zucchini puree, peel and seed the zucchini, finely dice and process in a food processor until the puree consistency is achieved. You may have to add a little bit of water to make that happen.
I make my own almond butter (see recipe here), but if you use the purchased one, try to find raw organic almond butter with no added sugar.
bottom of page