top of page
Vegan Grain-Free Gluten-Free Stuffed Mushrooms
Source: Better Vegan Category: Vegan Appetizers
Prep Time: 15 min Cook time: 42 min Total Time: 57 min Makes 12 mushrooms
Vegan / Gluten Free / Refined Sugar Free / Grain Free / Soy Free / Keto Friendly
About this recipe
Phenomenal! That was the word every single one of our tasters said when they tried these mushrooms. Yes, they are that good. Stuffed mushroom recipes usually produce mushrooms that are soggy and bland. This recipe is an absolute opposite of that. They are flavorful, firm-yet-tender, with fresh crumb topping, which adds a crunchy contrast to a smooth vegan cheese filling. They are also gluten-free, grain-free, low carb, full of healthy fats and protein, and absolutely delicious! Need I say more?
12 large cremini mushrooms
1 Tbsp. avocado oil (I use La Tourangelle Avocado Oil )
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. pink Himalayan salt (I use Sherpa Pink Gourmet Himalayan Salt, 5 lbs Fine Grain)
1/16 tsp. black pepper
1/3 yellow onion, diced (about 4oz)
1 Tbsp. avocado oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
2/3 cup Easy Vegan Parmesan Cheese
1/8 tsp. salt or to taste
1/3 tsp. everyday or poultry seasoning
1/3 tsp. paprika
1/8 cup coconut cream or coconut or almond milk
Fresh minced parsley, for garnish
1/4 cup Easy Vegan Parmesan Cheese
1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 Tbsp. avocado oil
1. Prepare the ingredients.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with foil and set wire rack inside baking sheet.
3. Remove stems from mushrooms. Crumble stems and set aside.
4. Toss mushrooms with oil, lemon juice, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/16 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Arrange mushrooms gill side up on rack and roast until juices are released, about 10 minutes. Turn caps over and roast until mushrooms are well browned, about 7 minutes.
5. While mushrooms are roasting, prepare the stuffing. Place reserved mushroom stems into the food processor outfitted with an S-blade and process until finely minced. Transfer to bowl. Place onion and garlic to food processor and finely mince as well. Add to bowl with stems.
6. Heat 1 tablespoons avocado oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic, onion, mushroom stems and thyme and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes.
7. Add 2/3 cup Easy Vegan Parmesan Cheese, 1/8 teaspoon salt, everyday or poultry seasoning, and paprika, and saute until fragrant.
8. Remove from heat and whisk in coconut cream or milk.
9. Prepare topping: mix parsley, garlic and oil in bowl. Stir 1/4 cup Easy Vegan Parmesan Cheese into oil mixture to coat and mix well. Set aside.
10. Remove baking sheet from oven. Flip roasted mushrooms gill side up and cool slightly (mushrooms will shrink significantly as they cook). There will be more liquid accumulated in the mushrooms. Flip them again gill side down and let sit for about 5 minutes to allow the extra water to drain. Carefully spoon the stuffing into the mushrooms, packing them tightly.
11. Using teaspoon, carefully place some topping on top of each mushroom. Arrange mushrooms (topping side up) on rack. Bake until filling is hot, and topping is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Cool about 5 minutes, garnish with parsley and serve.
Mushrooms shrink significantly as they cook, so choose larger "stuffer mushrooms".
The mushrooms can be roasted and stuffed up to 3 days in advance, but don't put the topping on until you are ready to heat and serve the mushrooms. Store stuffed mushrooms, stuffing side up, on a paper towel-lined plate in the refrigerator, covered tightly with plastic wrap. The topping can be refrigerated separately for up to 3 days.
Best served on its own.
This page contains affiliate links to Amazon which means I will make a small commission if you purchase through those links. You will pay the same price as you normally would on Amazon and you can still use your Prime account. This small contribution will help us support this site and bring you more delicious clean vegan recipes that you and your family will enjoy.
Thank you for your support!
bottom of page