Vegan Cauliflower and Red Potato Mash
Source: Better Vegan Category: Vegan Entrees & Sides
Prep Time: 10 min Cook time: 45 min Total Time: 55 min Serves 4-6
Gluten Free I Refined Sugar Free
About this recipe
I personally love the pure cauliflower mash, but sometimes you just want something with more substance. Combining cauliflower with some red potatoes in this recipe creates a perfect mash, which is still silky and light, yet filling and satisfying. Roasting cauliflower instead of steaming produced a nutty flavor, and adding garlic and nutritional yeast deepened it resulting in a perfect side dish.
One 2-pound head cauliflower, cored, green leaves removed and cut into florets
2 Tbsp. avocado oil (I use La Tourangelle Avocado Oil )
1/4 to 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen Organic Unsweetened Coconut Milk) or almond milk
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (I use Anthony's Premium Nutritional Yeast Flakes (1lb), Verified Gluten Free)
1 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil (I use Newman's Own Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
1 medium clove garlic, peeled and roasted
Pink Himalayan salt to taste (I use Sherpa Pink Gourmet Himalayan Salt, 5 lbs Fine Grain)
Black pepper to taste
3 large red potatoes, peeled and quartered
2-3+ Tbsp. unsweetened almond milk
1. Prepare the ingredients.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Toss cauliflower with 2 Tbsp. avocado oil and generous amount of salt. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in one layer and roast for about 35 minutes until tender, turning once half way through.
4. While the cauliflower is roasting, place red potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water. Add 1 tsp. salt and boil until potatoes are tender and can easily be pierced with a knife, about 20-30 minutes. Drain, add almond milk and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
5. When the cauliflower is done, place half of it into a food processor or a high-power blender. Add the coconut milk (start with 1/4 cup and add more as needed), nutritional yeast, oil and garlic, and process until the cauliflower is broken up. Add the remaining cauliflower and process until it reaches the desired consistency.
6. Add the cauliflower mixture to mashed potatoes and mash until smooth and well-mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Transfer to a medium serving bowl and serve.