Vegan Gluten-Free Grain-Free Zucchini Linguine
Source: Seastar Restaurant Chef John Howie, Better Vegan Category: Vegan Entrees & Sides
Prep Time: 15 min Cook time: 10 min Total Time: 25 min Serves 4
About this recipe
One of my dear friends was kind enough to share this recipe with me and I love it. It has all the taste and flavor of the classic Italian dish, but none of the gluten and other unhealthy stuff. Besides, it is really quick and easy to prepare. I only had to make very minor changes to this recipe by substituting the oil and discarding the peels and seeds of the zucchini. Peels and seeds contain a lot of lectins, which can cause inflammation in our body. Additionally, the seeds have too much water in them, which results in the somewhat watery sauce and soggy noodles. Using just zucchini flesh for noodles keeps the right consistency of sauce and firmer noodles.
2 lbs. (4 cups) zucchini linguine (see notes)
2-3 Tbsp. coconut or avocado oil (I use Kirkland Signature Cold Pressed Unrefined Organic Virgin Coconut Oil and La Tourangelle Avocado Oil)
3 Tbsp. shallots, minced very fine
2 Tbsp. garlic, shaved into thin slices
1/2 tsp. crushed red chili flakes
2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced
3 Tbsp. vegetable stock
1 cup artichoke hearts, sliced into 1/4" wedges
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and quartered
1 Tbsp. pink Himalayan salt or to taste (I use Sherpa Pink Gourmet Himalayan Salt, 5 lbs Fine Grain)
black pepper to taste
6 Tbsp. fresh basil, julienne 1/16"
4 Tbsp. pine nuts, lightly toasted (I use I'm a Nut Raw Pine Nuts 1 LB (Whole and Natural))
1. Prepare the ingredients.
2. Heat oil over medium heat, add shallots, shaved garlic and crushed chilies.
3. Saute for 2-3 minutes with light browning.
4. Add Roma tomatoes, salt, and vegetable stock, cook until tomatoes are tender and the sauce thickens a bit.
5. Add artichokes and olives and warm through. Add zucchini and cook until warmed through, but do not overcook.
6. Remove from heat and toss in basil. Mound the linguine high evenly in pasta bowls, drizzle with extra sauce and sprinkle with pine nuts.